for the november monthly stitch challenge,
make something from a sewing book,
i made design # 20 from this japanese sewing edition.
a smock style dress.
all the instructions are in japanese , but you can look at the diagrams and get the basic idea of how to make the clothes.
i shortened the dress to tunic length and drafted the largest size , which was 13 ( bust 89cm ).
i am a size bigger than this but i know japanese clothes are kind of sized loose fit , as you can see from the photos.
the look seems to be ” little girl dressups “even the shoes look too big for the poor models…
so with this in mind i was sure i had picked the right size.
the finished smock is HUUUGE !
i could easily have not added seam allowances, and some !
to pull in all that breezy fullness , ( which is just not me )
i cut up a silk scarf that matched and made bias edgings for the neck and sleeves , and then had enough for ties which i sewed at the side under arms.
the bottom hem is finished with the same fabric as the smock, and folded bias, which gives it some weighted grounding.
the fabric is a lovely border print vintage circa ‘ 50’s floppy cotton.
the back has a mix of coloured buttons with loop closure.
verdict : i’ve already worn this over skinnies and it ‘s fine.
breezy from the bust down but still enough fit up top , so no gaping.
happy smiling face
explanatory notes: the ” gay ” selfie is because my ” photographer ” was busy planting his tuberous begonias thank you very much , and this dodgy camera needs to be held awkwardly so the batteries don’t fall out …..
and that little cutie above is a spider brooche ….