I made this dress from a Simplicity ” HOW TO SEW “
pattern circa 1973.
when I showed it to the men in my life , they said ,
” what’s up with the sleeves ? “
” you’ll look like snow white minus the dwarves… “
I soldiered on.
The sewing part was fairly straight forward. I don’t normally follow patterns , as I make my own , which are for children and I keep the shapes simple.
I think I made it as far as step three , then realised I would just need to make it up as I go along.
I made changes to the collar… it was a little too claustrophobic , I cut it down by 2inches.
I remembered to take the requisite seam allowances that the pattern called for.
I fully lined it.
the pattern dress was not lined.
the lining was the only part that caused me strife.
I joined it to all the seams and treated it as one with the outer fabric for the upper body .
so from the bodice down it hangs free , BUT it is joined into the back seam , ( this will prevent it from riding up ).
the hemming for the lining at the back was therefore a tad tricky , anyway whatever I did worked , it’s just hard to describe…lol
I liked the big faux rose on the pattern cover.
I made one in felt for the finished dress.
the fabric is a vintage vyella , paisley print.
the cuffs and collar are cut from a grey linen weave with silver lurex streaks running thru.
I like the dress.
I think my 15yr old daughter will wear it .
i’m happy I made it and got it out of my system , now I can move on to another dress already cut out!
oh , and I made a matching e for elephant toy for my market stall , : )